Sunday, December 29, 2013

Burning Barrel

Pretty sure the 'Hello World' of the VFX industry is setting things on fire. So made some fire in UDK's Cascade engine, which as expected was infinitely more robust and customizable than Unity's Shuriken. Though I'm glad I learned on Shuriken first.

Fire sprite sheet was generated by Positech Games' neato Explosion Generator.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Crate Teleportation

Finished effect in AfterEffects. Did some color correction so the crate looks like it fits in a bit better.

Monday, December 23, 2013

AfterEffects Teleportation In Progress

Following along with an AfterEffects tutorial on Digital Tutors making an alien teleport around. Except I wanted to use my own footage and not use any of the supplied files so I'm teleporting a crate into this shanty town.

Emergency supplies or something. From space.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Prop Placement

Combining all the props made in my Environment class into one scene. Rendered in Unity.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hayloft Props

Some props for my hayloft scene. The crates change color based on location.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Space Shooter

Another simple shooter game, this time in space.

We were given the space ship asset and told to make suitable space effect, and I took it a step further and created some gameplay elements.

The shield shader is from the Unify Community Wiki all the rest of the particles were done by me.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Brazilian Slum Buildings

Very basic low poly building made to be stacked and swiveled to make an entire city:

 And a render in Marmoset of a cityscene:

Monday, November 4, 2013

Thursday, October 31, 2013


Quick test (without lightmaps) of my hayloft. Just wanted to see how the cracks in the wood looked.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Floating Tower

Midterm project. We had one week to model and texture a floating tower using modular pieces. All pieces snap together vert to vert.

This scene uses 14 unique models (including the flags)

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Texture Editing

Our project this week was to take someone else's hallway and then muck it up via texture without changing any of the geometry.

Here's Donato's original hallway:

I decided I wanted to make it look like it had been attacked by sentient alien goop. So here's my take on it:

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Unity Particle Effects

Some very simple particle effects. I'm pretty happy with the acid cloud.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Final Project

For the final we had a week to make and texture a scene using all the things we've learned this semester.

I decided to change up the water/rocks scene and add some grass to it along with modeling some props to make it interesting. Here's some in progress shots.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Blend Shaders

Made a bunch of blend shaders this week. Started with lava but got pretty frustrated trying to get the lava to look like Lava, I think it's a lot more advanced than I thought it was. Moved onto water and snow which were infinitely easier and look a lot better.

Normal and Diffuse for the water shader.

The snow shader, attempting to blend using a height map. Kind of successful but needs more work. Was going off this tutorial, which inverted everything, but that seemed unnecessary so I changed it.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Height/Slope Blending

I wanted to do something a bit different than the standard mountains with snow on them for height blending. So I made this volcanic environment.

I took a height map from Google Earth of a canyon in Egypt and another of a volcano and blended the two together. Then I made textures for obsidian, a red glowing obsidian type rock and ash for the top.

Here's the material editor for this. It looks like a lot but really it's the same thing repeated for the spec, normal and emissive channels.

And a close up.

Here's the material for the lava surrounding the volcano.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Projected Couch

Here's the couch I made yesterday, in all its 131,060 tri glory:

Brought it from Max into Maya to make a low poly cage for it, down to 2737 tris, then projected the high-res one onto the low for the normal maps.

Here it is in UDK (I haven't textured the legs yet):